Field Experience to Belize
"I saw that the next group of students studying abroad in Belize is coming up! That is soooo exciting and I am so lucky to have been able to be a part of such a wonderful opportunity. Everything from the local cultural experiences, to meeting and spending time with principals from NC were absolutely priceless experiences! Dr. C and Dr. K, you make the experience amazing and I honestly couldn't imagine having a better experience abroad!"
See our Promotional YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrcf7-TkQIc
You can view a Full Length Documentary on the IFE-Belize
Field Experience to Belize Spring, 2014
The purpose of this course is to provide teacher candidates with:
1) active participation in a five week field experience in Belize, Central America using an indigenous curriculum.
2) the opportunity to teach lessons during an international field experience, thereby giving students an opportunity to collaborate with Belizean teachers and provide instruction to Belizean children, merging US teaching methodologies with Belizean strategies.
3) and negotiating understanding of each participant’s conceptual framework with an international educational framework.
- Class Syllabus: EDN 455 Spring 2014 and EDN 592 Spring 2014
- Student Committees: Link Here
- See the Proposed Itinerary here!
- See the International Recommended Flight Schedule here
- See the Domestic Belize Flight Schedule here
- See the Proposed Budget - Remember, I always round way up with all the numbers, so this is always on the high end of the cost structure.
- Depart for International Field Experience in Belize – Wednesday, March 26th
- Arrive back from International Field Experience to North Carolina – Saturday or Sunday, May 3rd or 4th
This International Field Experience (EDN 455) will provide 5 weeks of daily experiences in selected primary or secondary schools in San Pedro, Belize.
Students will observe Belizean teachers in schools, provide instructional support, keep electronic journals of their experience, record and analyze similarities and differences of the Belizean educational system studied with their traditional internship experience, and develop curricula and support materials based upon this international experience.
Students will also engage in a service project in Belize that is student focused and serves the needs of the school-based community.
This international field experience will focus on the following: current field experience experiences in global education; the development, implementation, and assessment of curricular materials; and the evaluation and integration of relevant pedagogy and technology in the international classroom.
Field Experience to
Belize Spring, 2014 Meetings
Friday, Jan. 17th 4-6 PM
2. Friday, Feb. 7th 4-6 PM
OIP Mandatory Meeting
3. Friday, Mar. 7th 4-6 PM
4. Departure Meeting - Monday, March 24th 9-1 PM
Agenda Meeting Notes
Field Experience to
Belize Fall, 2013 Meetings
Office of International Programs (OIP) Applications and Deposits are due prior meeting #2 by 3:00 PM on Friday, November 15th.
- See the application checklist on the OIP website
*Applications for participation are due in my mailbox on Monday, September 9th by midnight. All applications are to be completed and submitted electronically to: email@example.com
*The committee will select students for interviews by Friday September 13th.
The following dates have been selected to conduct interviews:
* Week of September 16th - 20th
* Week of September 23rd - 27th
*Final selection will be made by Wednesday, October 2nd
There are THREE ‘Field Experience to Belize, Spring 2014’ informational meetings planned for week 1 in August and TWO more scheduled for week 2 (Sept. 3rd -6th). The meetings will last no longer than one hour. Each applicant must attend one of the five meetings, if interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity!
- Wednesday, September 4th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson College of Education.
- Friday, September 6th at 12:00 Noon in Room 162, Watson College of Education.
See Week Two Recruitment Flyer here
- Wednesday, August 28th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson College of Education.
- Monday, August 26th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson College of Education.
- Friday, August 23rd at 12:00 Noon in Room 223, Watson College of Education.
See Week One Recruitment Flyer here