International Programs - Belize
Wonderful to see our UNCW WCE field experience to Belize program featured as part of a story connecting our teaching candidates with children in Wilmington (Codington Elementary School) and in Belize! The 'Connect All Schools' website highlights "organizations linking US schools with others around the world." The drive is to emphasize "coming together in a new Connect All Schools consortium designed to meet a very specific goal: to connect every school in the US with the world by 2016." See the story here!
Congrats to all of our past and present student participants!
"I saw that the next group of students studying abroad in Belize is coming up! That is soooo exciting and I am so lucky to have been able to be a part of such a wonderful opportunity. Everything from the local cultural experiences, to meeting and spending time with principals from NC were absolutely priceless experiences! Dr. C and Dr. K, you make the experience amazing and I honestly couldn't imagine having a better experience abroad!"
See our promotional YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrcf7-TkQIc
You can view a Full Length Documentary on the IFE-Belize Facebook Page
Field Experience to
Belize Spring, 2013 Meetings
Friday, Jan. 11th 4-6 PM
2. Friday, Feb. 8th 4-6 PM
3. Friday, Mar. 1st 4-6 PM
4. Departure Meeting -
Wednesday, March 13th 9-3 PM
2013 INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION FIELD EXPERIENCE - BELIZE
This International Field Experience (EDN 455) will provide 5 weeks of daily experiences in selected primary or secondary schools in San Pedro, Belize. Be advised: this field experience is designed for final semester seniors and graduate students during the student teaching semester. If accepted to the international program, students will complete an abbreviated 10-week student teaching experience in area schools and a five week field experience in Belize.
- Class Syllabus: EDN 455 Spring 2013
- Student Committees: Link Here
- See the Proposed Itinerary here!
- See the International Recommended Flight Schedule here
- See the Domestic Belize Flight Schedule here
- See the Proposed Budget - Remember, I always round way up with all the numbers, so this is always on the high end of the cost structure.
Students will keep electronic journals, provide
documentation of the similarities and differences of the Belizean
educational system studied, and develop curricula based upon their
international experiences. Students will also engage in a service
project in Belize that is student-focused and serves the needs of the
- Depart for International Field Experience in Belize – Thursday and Friday, March 14th and 15th
- Arrive back from International Field Experience to North Carolina – Sunday, April 21st
This international field experience will focus on the following: current issues and trends in global education; the development, implementation, and assessment of curricular materials; and the evaluation and use of technology in the classroom as well as other effective instructional strategies..
Purpose: The purpose of this course is to provide teacher candidates with: 1) active participation in a field experience in a Belize instructing from their indigenous curriculum; 2) the opportunity to teach lessons during the field experience, thereby giving students an opportunity to instruct Belizean children, merging US teaching methodologies with Belizean strategies; 3) and negotiating understanding of each student’s conceptual framework with an international educational framework.
Field Experience to
Belize Fall, 2012 Meetings
Office of International Programs (OIP) Applications and Deposits are due prior meeting #3 by 3:00 PM on Friday, December 7th.
- See the application checklist on the OIP website
The following dates have been selected to conduct interviews:
* Week of September 24 - 28
* Week of October 1 - 5
*Final selection will be made by Monday, October 9th
Field Experience to Belize Spring, 2013 - Selection Process
*Applications for participation are due in my mailbox on Sunday, September 16th by midnight. All applications are to be completed and submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*The committee will select students for interviews by Wednesday, September 19th.
Field Experience to Belize 2013 Interest Meetings
There are THREE ‘Field Experience to Belize, Spring 2013’ informational meetings planned for week one (Sept 4-7) and THREE more scheduled for week two (Sept. 10-14). The meetings will last no longer than one hour. Each applicant must attend one of the three meetings, if interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity!
- Monday, September 10th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson School of Education.
- Tuesday, September 11th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson School of Education.
- Friday, September 14th at 12:00 Noon in Room 162, Watson School of Education.
See Week Two Recruitment Flyer here
- Tuesday, September 4th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson School of Education.
- Wednesday, September 5th at 5:00 PM in Room 162, Watson School of Education.
- Friday, September 7th at 12:00 Noon in Room 162, Watson School of Education.
See Week One Recruitment Flyer here