EDN 300 Elementary Programs and Practices
EDN 334 Social Studies Curriculum and Instruction (K-6)
EDNL 332/333 Field Experience (Block Lead)
EDN 411 Practicum K-6
EDN 500 The Advanced Study of Elementary Education
EDN 543 The Teaching of Social Studies
EDN 529 Special Topics Course: Infusing Global Education in the Elementary Curriculum
LIC 501 Research-Based Instructional Design and Assessment
Ph.D. with Honors, Educational Policy, Planning, and Leadership, The College of William & Mary, 2007
Ed.S., Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, The University of Alabama, 2004
M.S., Elementary Education, Florida State University, 2001
B.A. with Honors, Anthropology (Minor: French), The University of Georgia, 1999
The Institute for Humane Education, Board Member
U.S. Fund for UNICEF, Consultant
Coverdell World Wise Schools Program of the Peace Corps, Former Consultant
Elementary Social Studies Methods
- Crawford, E.O., Costner, H., & Luke, N. (2013). ³Do you want paper or plastic?² An inquiry-based environmental education unit for grades 3-5.
New York: U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- Crawford, E. O., Heaton, E., Heslop, K., & Kixmiller, K. (2013). Science learning in out-of-school time: Family engagement activities and resources. In Spotlight on young children: Exploring science (pp. 55-60). Washington, DC: NAEYC.
- Crawford, E.O. (2013). Exploring our roles as global citizens: An early childhood unit. New York: U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- Crawford, E.O. (2013). Trick or Treat for UNICEF. 2013 teacher handbook (grades K-2). New York: U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- Kirby, M., & Crawford, E. O. (2012). The preparation of globally competent teachers: A comparison of American and Australian education policies and perspectives. Global Partners in Education Journal, 2(1), 12-24.
- Crawford, E.O., & Shelit, D. (2012). Peaceful communities for all: An early childhood unit. New York: U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- Crawford, E. O., & Monsion, T. (2011, November/December). Drop by drop: First graders learn about water and the value of conservation. Social Studies and the Young Learner, 24(2), 9-13.
- Crawford, E.O., & Buchanan, L. (2013, October). Education for sustainability: Promises and challenges of “greening” teacher preparation. North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE), Baltimore, MD.
- Buchanan, L. & Crawford, E.O. (2013, October). Interdisciplinary environmental education: Tips, strategies, and resources for elementary educators. North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE), Baltimore, MD.
- Crawford, E. O., & Luke, N. (2012, November). Children as “solutionaries”: The impact of inquiry-based, environmental education. Presented at the annual conference of the National Council for the Social Studies, Seattle, WA.
- Crawford, E. O., & Meiring, L. (2012, November). Global collaborations: American and South African preservice teachers take action! Presented at the annual conference of the National Council for the Social Studies, Seattle, WA.
- Crawford, E.O. (2012, October). Global education for a sustainable future: Enhancing children’s awareness of environmental issues and their roles as “solutionaries.” Presented at the World View 2012 Symposium, Global Issues, Global Solutions, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Crawford, E. O., & Bolduc, W.J. (2012, April). Perservice teachers’ perceptions of an international student teaching experience. Poster presented at the annual conference of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Crawford, E. O., & Kirby, M. (2011, April). Global education in American and Australian teacher preparation: A comparison of policy, perception, and practice. Paper presented at the annual conference of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), New Orleans, LA.
Honors and Awards
UNCW Excellence in eLearning Award, The University of North Carolina Wilmington, 2013
UNCW Discere Aude Outstanding Professor Award, The University of North Carolina Wilmington, 2012