From the catalog:
CSC 532. Design and Analysis of Algorithms I (3) Prerequisite: CSC 332 or equivalent. Theory of the design of efficient computer algorithms. Algorithms for sorting, searching, pattern matching, and polynomial arithmetic, cryptography, as well as study of greedy algorithms, graph algorithms.
A central goal of this course is to provide the student with practical experience with computer algorithms.† Accordingly, students will be required to complete programming projects that entail the design, development, implementation, testing, and analysis of algorithms to find solutions for a variety of problems. In addition, students will document their findings in a collection of brief lab reports, typically 3-8 pages, in which a problem is introduced, the approaches of others are noted, an experimental design is presented (including a description of algorithms to be used), findings are presented, conclusions are drawn, and future work proposed.
Sanjoy Dasgupta, Christos Papadimitriou, and Ulmesh Vazirani, Algorithms, first edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2008.† ISBN 978-0-07-352340-8
Professor Gene A. Tagliarini
M-W, 1:00-2:00 PM, and T and R, 2:30-3:30 PM.
Other office hours may be arranged by appointment.
Your final grade will be determined based upon your performance on the mid-term and final examinations as well as the programming projects and the associated reports.† The tests will be weighted 40% (2 tests* 20% each = 40% total), the projects will be weighted 60% (6 programming exercises with lab reports * 10% each = 60%) of the final grade. Note: even though the typical program weights (10%) seem slight, they are essential to successful completion of the course and their cumulative effects influence 60% of the final grade.
The tests will be given according to the following schedule:
††††††††††† Test†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Date
††††††††††† Mid-term†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Thursday, 27 February
Final Exam††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Tuesday, 6 May
Your final grade will be determined according to the following scale:
††††††††††† Final average†††††††††††††† Grade†
††††††††††† 90-100†††††††††††††††††††††††† A
††††††††††† 80-89.999††††††††††††††††††† B
††††††††††† 70-79.999††††††††††††††††††† C
††††††††††† 60-69.999††††††††††††††††††† D
††††††††††† less than 60†††††††††††††††† F
In addition to an exceptional performance on the intermediate test and final exam, a final grade of "A" will require that the student's programming projects correctly provide all specified functionality, and that his/her reports satisfactorily describe the studentís individual experimental findings.
The instructor reserves the right, solely at his own discretion, to curve grades.
Incomplete grades are given only very rarely and only when the student is
The instructor MUST be able to certify all three of these factors to the chair before assigning a grade of "I".†
Important scheduling items and key academic dates can be found at http://www.uncw.edu/reg/calendars.htm.
A tentative schedule is available online. At the discretion of the instructor and based upon student interests, the schedule may be adapted to include some alternative topics. You should explore the content of the text(s) as needed to supplement class discussions. Please express leadership by taking the initiative to read about areas if interest without waiting for specific reading assignments to cover a topic that attracts your attention. There will not be time in class to discuss all of the text, so you should plan for some independent study. In addition, you should allocate time for office hours visits as appropriate. If you have questions regarding topics in the text, please e-mail your questions to the instructor, ask during class, or visit during office hours.
Demonstrations or laboratory documentation of functioning programs are due on the dates shown in the schedule. Late penalties of 20%, 60%, and 100% apply for assignments delivered up to 24 hours late, more than 24 but less than 48 hours late, and more than 48 hours late, respectively.
Regular attendance and vigorous participation in class are expected but not required.† However, if you desire the "benefit of the doubt" in any matter related to your grade in the class, you will routinely be present, ask relevant questions, and cooperate with the instructor as well as the course objectives.† Each student is personally responsible for material covered during each class meeting.
If you have a disability and need reasonable accommodation in this course, you should inform the instructor of this fact in writing within the first week of class or as soon as possible.† If you have not already done so, you must register with the Office of Disability Services in Westside Hall (ext. 3746) and obtain a copy of your Accommodation Letter.† You should then meet with your instructor to make mutually agreeable arrangements based on the recommendations of the Accommodation Letter.