EDL 515, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
EDL 530, Curriculum
EDL 567, Learning Centered Supervision
EDL 569, Pre-Leadership Internship
EDL 570, Administrative Internship: Leadership I
EDL 571, Administrative Internship: Leadership II
EDL 578, Practicum for Learning Centered Supervision
EDL 621, Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
EDL 661, Educational/ Government Internship
- University of North Carolina Wilmington, Assistant Professor (Dept. of Educational Leadership) 2010-present
- Albemarle County Public Schools (VA), Principal 2006-2010
- Charlottesville City Public Schools (VA), Assistant Principal 2004-2006
- University of Virginia, Graduate Research Assistant 2003-2004
- Charlottesville City Schools (VA), Upper Elementary Reading/ Language Arts and Science Teacher 2001-2003
- Jessamine County Public Schools (KY), Middle School Science Teacher 1999-2001
- North Carolina Standard Professional II:
- Principal (K-12),
- Middle Grades Science and Social Studies
- K-12 Leadership Preparation
- Teacher Leadership
- Principal Professional Development
Dr. Sterrett is a former award-winning principal who now serves as program coordinator of the Watson College’s Master’s of School Administration (MSA) program at UNCW. Sterrett is the author of the ASCD books Short on Time (2013) and Insights into Action (2011), and has published in numerous journals on the subject of school leadership.
Focused on the theory and practice of instructional leadership, Sterrett has researched, taught, and written about the use of collaborative learning communities and school & teacher leadership. He has served as a workshop facilitator and keynote speaker, having worked with groups on the school, district, regional, and state level. Sterrett has also presented at numerous state, national, and international conferences. He prioritizes building long-lasting collaborative relationships with school leaders in the field. Sterrett earned his B.S. in Middle Grades education from Asbury College and his M.Ed. and Ph.D. in Educational Administration & Supervision from the University of Virginia.
Short on Time: How do I make time to lead and learn as a principal? by William Sterrett
Insights into Action: Successful School Leaders Share What Works (ASCD, 2011) by William Sterrett
The School Improvement Planning Handbook by Daniel Duke, Marsha Carr, and William Sterrett
ASCD presents author Bill Sterrett
Bill is the author of "INSIGHTS INTO ACTION": SUCCESSFUL SCHOOL LEADERS SHARE WHAT WORKS
Chapter “The Principal as Facilitator of Teacher Leadership” in The Power of Teacher Leaders: Their Roles, Influence, and Impact (Nathan Bond, ed., Routledge, 2014).
At TeacHaiti School: Dr. Sterrett traveled to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to work with school leaders. Read his research related to school leadership standards here.