All the projects must be submitted through the assignment dropbox in BlackBoard.
Project 1 - Definition of the field (10%)
DUE: You will turn in a paper on "What is Human Performance Technology or HPT?" (double spaced - 2 or 3 pages)
- Write a personal definition of the field.
- Describe what you believe a good practitioner of HPT does?.
Project 2 - Intervention Presentation & Paper (20%)This assignment will require you to work independently to learn about one performance intervention other than training and classroom instruction. The assignment won’t make you an expert in the design and implementation of the intervention, but should provide you with enough knowledge to describe the intervention to others and be comfortable recommending it when appropriate.
&Dessinger, 2000) and the Performance Improvement Interventions textbook. You are encouraged to use a variety of resources (published literature, books, the web, professionals in the field, etc.) to complete the assignment.You will be looking at the following interventions - performance support systems, job analysis/work design, personal development, human resource development, organizational communication, organizational design and development, financial systems
The outcomes of the assignment will be -
(1) An oral presentation to the class (not to exceed 20 minutes) on the date assigned.
(2) A 3 to 5 page paper double spaced. Format the paper in APA, and include references.
The presentation and paper should address the following
- Provide a clear and concise description of the performance intervention.
- Provide a brief example of how the intervention has been used or could be used to address a performance problem or opportunity.
- Include an instructional activity to teach the intervention to your classmates via synchronous wimba class session
- Explain how you would classify the intervention into one or more category.
- Explain how the intervention relates to one or more causes of performance problems.
- Describe any resources, support systems, or strategies required to implement or maintain the intervention.
- Identify the benefits or advantages of the intervention.
- Identify the limitations or disadvantages of the intervention.
- List all resources used following APA style for references.
Project 3 - Performance Improvement Team Project (40%)
This project will require you to work on a two to three member team to apply the steps in the performance improvement process.
Phase 1 - Description of the project. Include one or two paragraphs describing your project.
Phase 2 - Problem Identification, Performance Analysis (Excluding Cause Analysis)
During this phase of the project, your team will meet with the client to identify the initial performance problem, the structure of the client’s organization, and the key players involved. During this phase of the project, your team will collect data and information from the key players to analyze the organization and environment where the performance problem exists. The problem will be outlined in terms of actual and optimal performance and all possible causes of the problem will be identified.
The outcome of this phase will be a report not to exceed 15 pages. The report should address the following information:
• Describe the initial performance problem ( productivity problem/ Quality Improvement initiative/ New Opportunity)as identified by the client.
• Explain why the client perceives this as a performance problem.
2. Organizational Analysis
• Describe the mission, vision, or goals of the client’s organization (department, unit, or work group) and explain how they relate to the performance problem.
• Describe the structure of the client’s organization and where the key stakeholders of the problem fit into the organization
3. Environmental Analysis
• Describe the environment in which the performance problem is occurring. Possible factors to address are the -
Workplace (including resources, tools, information, feedback and consequence/rewards/incentives of performance or nonperformance)
Work (including job tasks and processes, job policies, procedures, employees responsibilities), and
Workforce (including employees by jobroles and other possible stake holders, knowledge, skills, motivation, expectations, capacity or ability).
4. Gap Analysis
• Describe the desired performance result the organization would like to realize.
• Describe the current performance that is occurring within the organization.
• State the gap(s) between optimal and actual performance.
*Note: Tables, charts, and diagrams should be used to present data and may be included in an appendix if additional page length is required.
Phase 3 - Report to Client
During the final phase of the project, your team will communicate with the client about findings related to the performance problem.
The outcome of this phase will be a concise, written report for the purpose of informing the client. The report should not to exceed 10 pages* . The report should address the following information:
1. Executive summary (not to exceed two pages)
• The purpose of this summary is to provide in a succinct manner, enough information for a decision to be made by the client. It is typically written after the report is completed.
2. Purpose of the project (Summary from Phase II)
• Explain why the team carried out the project. Include description of the performance problem, organization analysis, environment analysis, the gap analysis, and a statement of purpose.
3. Cause Analysis
• Identify the possible causes of the performance gap. Address all possible causes related to the environment and individual performers.
• Explain how the data obtained during Performance Analysis was used to identify and support each of the causes identified.
4. Intervention Selection and Feasilbility Analysis
• Present the results of your data collection efforts and the interventions recommended. Relate findings to your purposes and key questions. Use tables and charts as appropriate to represent data. Include a feasibility analysis for the interventions recommended.
5. Implications and recommendations
• Discuss the implications of your findings and provide recommendations to the client related to solutions and possible interventions. Suggested solutions and interventions should be based on identified causes of the performance problem.
* Note: You may include an appendix for any information you would like to provide to the client.