Dr. Christopher Frank Dumas
University of North Carolina at WilmingtonC.V. / Resume
Department of Environmental Sciences
(Office: 2094 Teaching Labs Building)
601 South College Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28403
* Ph.D. 1997. University of California, Berkeley. Natural Resource Economics.Awards and Honors
* M.S. 1991. University of California, Berkeley. Natural Resource Economics.
* B.S. 1990. North Carolina State University. Economics.
* B.S. 1990. North Carolina State University. Conservation/Environmental Science
* 2013-present. UNCW Clocktower Society.Teaching
* 2013-present. UNCW Society.
* 2012. UNCW Chancellor’s Teaching Award.
* 2011. UNCW Faculty Reassignment Award.
* 2007. UNCW “Million Dollar Club” member. Achieved over $1 million in cumulative grant awards at UNCW.
* 2000. UNCW Chancellor's Outstanding Faculty Award.
* EVS 195 Introduction to Environmental SciencesResearch
* EVS/ECN 325 Environmental Economics
* EVS 485/592 Ecological Modeling
* EVS 485/592 Fisheries Policy and Management
* EVS 485/592 Estuarine Aquatic Drones
* EVS 585 Environmental Economics
My research focuses on Natural Resource Economics, including:
* Fisheries Economics,A chronological list of journal articles, book chapters and technical reports follows below:
* Coastal Tourism Economics,
* Coastal Water Quality Economics,
* Coastal Storm/Hurricane Economics,
* Saltwater Aquaculture Economics
* 2020 Harrison, J., E. Edwards, S. Sutherland, C. Dumas and J. Whitehead. "The Economic Impacts of North Carolina's Commercial Fishing and Seafood Industry". North Carolina Commercial Fishing Resource Fund. (project underway)
* 2020. Dumas, Christopher F. "The Economics Impacts of The Cooperative Institute for Ocean Exploration, Research & Technology (CIOERT) Program, 2009-2018." NOAA-OAR. (project underway)
* 2019. Dumas, Chris. Inland Recreational Fishing in North Carolina: Economic Impacts and Angler Benefits. North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. Raleigh, NC. Contract: DIF-0027. 303 pp.
* 2019. Hill, J., C. Dumas, H. Hao, J. Herstine and A. Franzidis. Understanding Access and Visitor Use on North Carolina's Coastal Reserve System. North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, North Carolina Division of Coastal Management. Morehead City, NC. NCDEQ Task 7446. 889 pp.
* 2019. Finegan, Katie, Chris Dumas and Nicole Elko. North Carolina Beach and Inlet Management Plan: An evaluation of a dedicated state beach nourishment fund. Shore & Beach. 87(1).
* 2019. Gagne, Sara, Nikhil Kaza, Rachael Urbanek and Chris Dumas. "Creating an Interdisciplinary Network to Investigate the Drivers of Urban Biodiversity." The University of North Carolina Inter-Institutional Planning Grant program. Chapel Hill, NC.
* 2018. Dumas, Chris, and Mary Jaskowiak. The Economic Impact of Water Quality on Coastal North Carolina Waterfront Property Value. North Carolina Sea Grant, Project Number 2017-R/MG-1705. 67 pp.
* 2018. Dumas, Chris, and Brendan Manley. The Economic Impact of Carolina Beach Inlet Navigability on Waterfront Property Values. For: Carolina Beach Inlet Association. Funded by: UNCW Community Engagement Grant Program. 41 pp.
* 2017. Nesslage, Genevieve M., and Dumas, Christopher F. A Biological and Economic Evaluation of Imperiled Marine Fish Stocks and the Stock Assessment Process in North Carolina. University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science. Solomons, MD. UMCES Technical Report Series #TS-703-17.
* 2016. Dumas, Christopher F. (with Moffatt & Nichol Engineers, Raleigh, NC). North Carolina Beach and Inlet Management Plan (BIMP)--2016 Update. NC Division of Coastal Management. Raleigh, NC.
* 2015. Andrea Dell’Apa, Craig E. Landry, Anthony S. Overton, Evan Knight, Christopher F. Dumas, John C. Whitehead, and James H. Herstine. Comparative Analysis of the Catch Composition and Characteristics of the North Carolina Charter Boat Fishery between 1978 and 2007/08. Fisheries. 40(5):222-233.
* 2015. Watanabe, W., C.F. Dumas and P. M. Carroll. Production Economic Analysis of Black Sea Bass Juveniles to Support Finfish Mariculture Growout Industry Development in the Southeastern U.S. Aquaculture Economics and Management. 19:226-250.
* 2015. C.F. Dumas and P. Schuhmann. Socio-Economic Recreation Benefits from Potential Changes in Water Releases from John H. Kerr Reservoir. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC), Vicksburg, MS (Cooperative Agreement: W912HZ-14-2-0011). 97 pp.
* 2015. C.F. Dumas. “PPD Beach to Battleship Triathlon Economic Impact Study.” Wilmington, NC. For: YMCA of Wilmington, NC. 13pp.
* 2014. Dumas, Christopher F. “Study of the Economic Impacts of Carolina Beach Inlet Navigability.” Carolina Beach Inlet Association. Carolina Beach, NC. 36 pp.
* 2014. Dumas, Christopher F., John Whitehead, Craig Landry. A study of the economic impacts of Oregon Inlet Navigability to Dare County, the Surrounding Region, and the state of North Carolina. With: Moffatt & Nichol, Inc., Raleigh, NC. 240 pp.
* 2013. Whitehead, J.C., C.F. Dumas, C.E. Landry and J. Herstine. A Recreation Demand Model of the North Carolina For-Hire Fishery: A Comparison of Primary and Secondary Purpose Anglers. Applied Economics Letters. 20(16):1481-1484.
* 2011. Bin, O., B. Poulter, C.F. Dumas and J.C. Whitehead. Measuring the Impact of Sea-Level Rise on Coastal Real Estate: A Hedonic Property Model Approach. Journal of Regional Science. 51(4):751-767. v2011. Whitehead, J.C., C.F. Dumas, C.E. Landry and J. Herstine. Valuing Bag Limits in the North Carolina Charter Boat Fishery with Combined Revealed and Stated Preference Data. Marine Resource Economics. 26:233-241.
* 2011. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas and J.E. Graham. Hurricane Risk and Coastal Property Owner Choices. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment. 2(2):pp 118-138.
* 2011. Cahoon, L. B., Dumas, C. F. Guest editors for special issue: “Making the Connection: Translating Science into Effective Coastal Policy”. Coastal Management Journal.39(3-4):223-224.
* 2011. Dumas, C.F., J. Herstine, and J.C. Whitehead. "Joint estimation of revealed and stated preference trip and willingness-to-pay data to estimate the benefits and impacts of an Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway dredging and maintenance program." Preference Data for Environmental Valuation. Routledge publishers. New York, N.Y.
* 2011. Dumas, Christopher F. “Development of Commercial Loan Assessment Tools.” Live Oak Bank. Wilmington, NC.
* 2010. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas and J.E. Graham. Hurricanes and Homeowner Decision Making. Journal of Financial and Economic Practice. 10(2):1-11.
* 2010. Whitehead, J. C., Phaneuf, D. J., Dumas, C. F., Herstine, J., Hill, J., Buerger, B. Convergent Validity of Revealed and Stated Recreation Behavior with Quality Change: A Comparison of Multiple and Single Site Demands. Environmental and Resource Economics. 45(1): 91-112.
* 2010. Daniels, H., Watanabe, W., Murashige, R., Losordo, T., Dumas, C. F. In Daniels, H.V., and W.O. Watanabe (Ed.), Culture of southern flounder. Ames, Iowa: Willey-Blackwell.
* 2010. Dumas, Christopher F. Economic analysis portions of: “Terminal Groin Study Associated with an Update of the Beach and Inlet Management Plan for the State of North Carolina.” Moffatt and Nichol, Inc., for North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
* 2010. Dumas, C.F. "Comprehensive Snapper-Grouper Annual Catch Limit (ACL) Amendment Economic Chapter Creation." U.S. South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council.
* 2010. Dumas, Christopher F. "Economic Impacts of Ending Overfishing for Red Snapper in the Southeastern United States." Pew Charitable Trusts.
* 2010. Watanabe, W., P. Carroll, T. Rezek, A. Myers, C. Bentley, A. Shah and C.F. Dumas. A Practical Hatchery Manual for the Production of Black Sea Bass Fingerlings. NC Sea Grant. (peer reviewed)
* 2009. Fernandez, L., Dumas, C. F. Cross-media pollution and fuels--Can we avoid future MTBEs?. Energy Economics. 31: 423-430.
* 2009. Whitehead, J. C., Poulter, B., Dumas, C. F., Bin, O. Measuring the Economic Effects of Sea Level Rise on Shore Fishing. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change. 14: 777-792.
* 2009. Dumas, C. F. Markets for Marine Biotechnology--Natural Products and Nutraceuticals. Center of Marine Science, UNC-Wilmington. 75pp.
* 2009. Bin, O., Dumas, C. F., Poulter, B., Whitehead, J. Climate Change and the Economy. Washington, DC: Bipartisan Policy Center / National Commission on Energy Policy. 34 pp. www.bipartisanpolicy.org/library/report/climate-change-and-economy-expected-impacts-and-their-implications
* 2009. Dumas, C. F. Economic Impacts of the North Carolina For-Hire Ocean Striped Bass Fishery. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Sea Grant. (31 pp.).
* 2009. Dumas, C. F., Whitehead, J., Landry, C., Herstine, J. Economic Impacts and Recreation Value of the North Carolina For-Hire Fishing Fleet. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Sea Grant. (171 pp.).
* 2009. Dumas, C. F., Hall, W. W., Graham, J. E. Economic Impact Study of Manufacturing/Distribution Facility in Sampson County, North Carolina . Sampson County Economic Development Commission. (pp. 41).
* 2009. Hall, W. W., Dumas, C. F., Schuhmann, P. W. Economic Impact Study of the Production of a 'Mid-Major' Motion Picture on the Economy of Southeastern North Carolina.
* 2008. Dumas, C.F., and J.C. Whitehead. The Potential Economic Benefits of Integrated and Sustainable Ocean Observation Systems: The Southeast Atlantic Region. Coastal Management Journal. 36:146-164.
* 2008. John C. Whitehead , Christopher F. Dumas , Jim Herstine , Jeffery Hill , Bob Buerger. Valuing Beach Access and Width with Revealed and Stated Preference Data. Marine Resource Economics. 23:119-135.
* 2008. Dumas, C.F., W. Hall, P. Garrett. The Economic Impacts of Medicaid in North Carolina. North Carolina Medical Journal. 69(2):78-87.
* 2008. Burrus, Robert T., Christopher F. Dumas, and J. Edward Graham. Homeowner Responses to Hurricane Risk Perceptions. Journal of Housing Research. 17(1):49-60.
* 2008. "The Potential Impacts of Climate Change on Coastal North Carolina." A Report by the Faculty of the University of North Carolina Wilmington. C.F. Dumas, Chair, Report Committee. November 28, 2008. www.uncw.edu/aa/documents/UNCW%20Global%20Climate%20Change%20Final%20Report.pdf
* 2008. Dumas, C.F., and S. Templeton. "Estimating and Analyzing the Costs of Design-Bid-Build Projects for Stream Mitigation in North Carolina. " NC Dept. Environment and Natural Resources.
* 2007. Yates, J.K., W.O. Watanabe, C.F. Dumas, and T.M. Losordo. Production economics of summer flounder Paralichthys dentatus aquaculture in a marine recirculating system. Accepted for publication, in press, Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
* 2007. Dumas, Christopher F., Robert T. Burrus, Jr. Erin Diener, Jenny Payne, and Jeff Rose. Valuing the Recreational Benefits of Sculpture in Public Parks. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration. 25(2):29-41.
* 2007. Dumas, C.F., W. Watanabe, H. Daniels, T. Losordo, and K. Yates. “Southern Flounder Growout Economics.” Chapter in: Southern Flounder Production in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems: Biology, Engineering and Economics. North Carolina State University.
* 2007. Bin, O., C. Dumas, B. Poulter and J. Whitehead. “Measuring the Impacts of Climate Change on North Carolina Coastal Resources.” National Commission on Energy Policy. Washington, DC.
* 2007. Dumas, Christopher F., Troy Schmitz, and Christopher Giese. “Economic Implications of Plant-made Pharmaceuticals in North Carolina.” (Monograph) Rural Advancement Foundation International. Pittsboro, NC. November.
* 2006. “A Study of the Benefits of Oregon Inlet to the Economy of Dare County and the Surrounding Region.” Research report for: Dare County Inlet and Waterways Commission, NC. Coauthors: John Whitehead, Appalachian State University, Moffatt & Nichol engineering firm.
* 2005. Copeland, K., W. Watanabe, and C.F. Dumas. Economic Evaluation of a Small-Scale Recirculating System for Ongrowing of Captive Wild Black Sea Bass Centropristis striata in North Carolina. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 36(4):489-497.
* 2005. Dumas, C.F., P. Schuhmann and J. Whitehead. “Measuring the Economic Benefits of Water Quality Improvement with Benefit Transfer: An Introduction for Non-Economists.” Chapter in: Effects of Urbanization on Stream Ecosystems. L.R. Brown, R.H. Gray, R.M. Hughes and M.R. Meador, eds. American Fisheries Society.
* 2005. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas and J.E. Graham. "Impacts of Insurance Deductibles and Hurricane Damage Perceptions on Mitigation Choices." Chapter in: Economics and the Wind,. B. T. Ewing, J.S. Rawls and J. B. Kruse, eds. Nova Science Publishing.
* 2005. Dumas, C.F. "Ocean Beach Vehicular Access Study at Fort Fisher State Recreation Area: Economic Impact Analysis." Research report for North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Raleigh, NC.
* 2005. Dumas, C.F. "The Economic Impacts of Banning U.S. Longline Fishing." Report for Pew Charitable Trusts, Philadelphia, PA.
* 2005. Dumas, C.F., and M. Imperial. “The Economic Impacts of the Brunswick County, NC, Communities in Schools Program.” Brunswick County Communities in Schools, Inc. Southport, NC.
* 2005. Dumas, C.F., and H. Hall. “The Economic Impacts of Medicaid in North Carolina.” Research report for North Carolina Pediatric Society Foundation. Raleigh, NC.
* 2004. Dumas, C.F., and P. Schuhmann. 2003. Larry B. Crowder, Ransom A. Myers, Christopher Dumas, Sloan A. Freeman, Julia Baum, Melissa Snover, Andrea A. Treece, Peter Ward. Book: Longline Fishing in the Northwest Atlantic: A Fishery in Crisis. Pew Series in Marine Conservation, Island Press.
* 2004. Imperial, M, L, Jones, C. F. Dumas. "Wrightsville Beach 2003 Survey of Beachgoers." Report for the City of Wrightsville Beach, NC.
* 2004. Dumas, C.F. "The Economic Impact of Manufacturing Activity Decline in Robeson County, NC." Report for Center for Community Action, Lumberton, NC.
* 2003. Dumas, C.F. "The Economics of the U.S. Trawl Fishing Industry." Research report for Oceana, Inc., Washington., DC.
* 2002. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas and J.E. Graham. Catastrophic Risk, Homeowner Response and Wealth Maximizing Wind Damage Mitigation. Financial Services Review. 11:327-340.
* 2002. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas, C.H. Farrell and W.W. Hall. The Impacts of Low-Intensity Hurricanes on Regional Economic Activity. Natural Hazards Review. 3(3):118-125.
* 2002. Dumas, C.F. and S. Horton. The Potential Impact of Summer Flounder Aquaculture on Regional Flounder Price. Aquaculture Economics and Management. 6(1):39-54.
* 2002. Dumas, C.F., C.B. Moss and A. Schmitz. "Tradable Permits and Agricultural Sequestration of CO2." Chapter in book: Agricultural Globalization, Trade and the Environment. Edited by: Moss, Schmitz and Taylor (Univ. Florida) and Rausser & Zilberman (U.C. Berkeley). Natural Resource Management and Policy series, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
* 2002. Dumas, C.F., C.B. Moss and A. Schmitz. "Ex Ante Assessment of the FAIR Act." Chapter in book: Agricultural Globalization, Trade and the Environment. Edited by: Moss, Schmitz and Taylor (Univ. Florida) and Rausser & Zilberman (U.C. Berkeley). Natural Resource Management and Policy series, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
* 2001. Dumas, C.F. "The Impacts of Beach Sand Renourishment on Tourist Visitation Rates." U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Wilmington, NC, USACE District Office.
* 2001. Burrus, Robert T., Christopher F. Dumas, and J. Edward Graham. "Determinants of Principles of Macroeconomics Homework Performance." Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research. 2: 13-19.
* 2001. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas and J.E. Graham. The Cost of Coastal Storm Surge Damage Reduction. Cost Engineering. 43(3):38-44.
* 2001. Dumas, C.F., and P. Schuhmann. “Regulation of Longline Pelagic Fishing.” Pew Charitable Trusts.
* 2001. Burrus, R.T., C.F. Dumas and J.E. Graham. “Hurricane Storm Surge: Cost-Effective Mitigation in Wilmington, North Carolina.” Chapter in book: Facing Our Future: Hurricane Floyd and Recovery in the Coastal Plain. Coastal Carolina Press. Wilmington, NC.
* 1999. Dumas, C.F. and R. Goodhue. The Cotton Acreage Effects of Integrated Pest Management: A County-Level Time-Series, Cross-Section Analysis. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics. 31(3).
* 1999. Watanabe, W., and C.F. Dumas. “Summer Flounder Aquaculture.” William R. Kenan, Jr. Fund.
* 1999. Dumas, C.F., and W. Watanabe. “Analysis of Summer Flounder Aquaculture Production and Economics.” UNCW Center for Marine Science Research Pilot Project.
* 1997. Schmitz, T., A. Schmitz and C. Dumas. Gains from Trade, Inefficiency of Farm Programs and the Net Economic Effects of Trading. Journal of Political Economy. 105(3):637-647.
* 1995. Dumas, C. and T. Schmitz. Measuring the Impacts of Environmental Regulation. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 77:1172-1176.
* 1992. Martin, T.H., L.B. Crowder, C.F. Dumas and J.M. Burkholder. Indirect Effects of Fish on Macrophytes in Bays Mountain Lake - Evidence for a Littoral Trophic Cascade. Oecologia. 89(4):476-481.
The views and opinions expressed on faculty web pages on the http://people.uncw.edu web server are strictly those of the page author. The contents of these pages have not been reviewed nor approved by the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.